Thursday, January 27, 2011

Woooooaaaaaahhhhh!!!

Our life, at this moment, just hit super duper FAST FORWARD!!! I just got a phone call from the surgeon's office, and we were offered an appointment for the initial consult as early as tomorrow! And. . . AND surgery as fast as next TUESDAY. YES. I mean five days from now. FIVE. Excuse me while I pass out for a minute.  Oh wait, I can't do that, who would watch Princess Sassysocks?? LOL.

Let me catch you up in the event you are wondering what in the world I am talking about. I had just recently (literally 6 days ago) given the go ahead for Olivia to receive a Vagus Nerve Stimulator implant (also called a VNS, by Cyberonics--if I were more techie, I would insert a link here for you, but you will just have to Google it, sorry!!). This implant is another form of seizure control.  It has quiet a few pros and not that many cons, but the biggest con would be it simply might not work for her.  For people battling intractable epilepsy, they often must look beyond medication to other treatments to help control their seizures.  This is exactly what we are doing, and by doing this so early in Olivia's life, we are hoping to keep the seizures from forming comfortable little paths in her brain that make it easier for them to travel around the older she gets. Now, once the implant is in place, it usually takes 6 months to begin seeing results.  So, when they saw Olivia's age and situation, they understood the need for early intervention and wanted to offer the squeeze in appointments (which are probably speeding things up by 1 to 2 months).  It's certainly exciting and scary, but I am on board!  A couple months can be a big deal in the world of Dravet.  Simply put, a MOMENT can change everything.  I'm praying the road is turning the right direction in this moment.

I will have more to write about it later, but considering it might be happening so soon, I wanted to get the initial information out there to friends and family quickly. And I'm not rereading/editing my post, so forgive my typos or missing words!!

I ask for your PRAYERS, PRAYERS, PRAYERS! 
My love to you,
Hilary

2 comments:

  1. SO thrilled about this! Prayers and love coming atcha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're on board with you--not in person but in spirit. Our prayers are with you and Olivia and the doctors who will be working to improve her life and the circumstances surrounding both of you.

    ReplyDelete